Friday, February 25, 2011

Passion for the Possible

We have an amazing and sweet friend, Cassidy Carbine (a childhood friend of Traci's, aren't childhood friends the best, always there when you need them!), who put together a benefit concert. I have to say, she was tenacious. Jeff and I were both bratty about it. We both like to be the center of attention, but for very different reasons and in very different ways (I think we all know my ways of being the center of attention).
But she kept at it, and felt very strongly about it, so she pushed through our bad attitudes. She put together an amazing event.
When I gave her the date to use for the event, I thought it was two weeks after treatment ended. Because of miscommunication or a misunderstanding I had of the treatment, it ended up actually being DAYS after the end of treatment. He felt SO horrible that day (denial was my best friend). The event was supposed to be from 6-10 pm. He finally got up to shower at 5 (not that I am judging, I showered at 4:30.) But just walking from the living room to the bedroom his entire body was covered in sweat. So he lay down on the bed and fell asleep. He slept until almost 6. Then he "cowboy"ed up and got shower and dressed (it was the first time I saw him in jeans in over 6 weeks - man my honey is hot!!)
We got to the event at about 6:45 - he really needed to use the restroom but he was immediately swarmed by people and he was too polite or too embarrassed to say anything, so finally Traci just made him at least sit down to talk - and it was actually the longest he had gone without using the bathroom in weeks (I think it was a little miracle.)
On the way home, I said to him "I hope this doesn't sound sick, but that event was so awesome. It was like a preview to a funeral. Not that I am planning on you dying, but no one really gets to attend their funeral, but look at how many people love you and made the effort to come out and support us. I bet you didn't even get a chance to talk to all of them." He agreed that it was amazing and he was so grateful to have done it. We had a wonderful time, and for lots of people it was their last time to see him and I am sure it is a memory they will treasure.
When he came home that night it was straight to bed where he had one of the best nights of sleep he had in weeks.

Courtney signing the banner - that now hangs in Gage's room. Notice she signed to the right, and is now signing for her friend Liz who is standing next to her. I wonder where she gets he need for attention?

This is what it is all about. A zest for life!

Random group shot (I am horrible at pictures) but there were about three rooms this size filled with people all night, and this was only the very last half an hour!

I wish I could personally thank every person who was there that night, and everyone who donated a good, service or their time. But I would surely leave someone out, mostly because there was so much love and service provided that evening - and in preparation for that evening - that I don't even know everyone who donated something or purchased something. So please know, and spread the word, that you have my undying gratitude. This did more for all our spirits than I can ever fully express.

YYYThank You!!YYY

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this with all of us. You are an amazing person, I look up to you in many ways and love you very much.
    (Could you have at least photo shopped a half dozen of my "fat rolls"?!?!? Where is your commpassion?!?!?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you go with the blog! Man, I hate, hate, hate that we didn't make it up for this. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only you knew that was you. But I will have to show you what I use to stuff my bra, it takes off at least a couple of rolls!

    ReplyDelete