Friday, March 11, 2011

Faith, Family, Friends

While we were making our trip to and from Vegas, Jeff's brother (who is the only sibling that doesn't live within 10 miles of his parents), was making the drive to visit from Ohio, with his wife and five kids. That is love and dedication to family. Jeff had called him and asked him to come for a visit - and through much work and finagling on their part, they were able to be out here within a week!
As soon as the kids woke up and found out their cousins were at grandma and grandpa's house, we rarely saw them the rest of the week. On Monday, we had some time in the afternoon that was just the two of us. Jeff was kneeling beside his chaise lounge with his head resting on his arms on the seat (think praying position) because it was the most comfortable position for him, it took the pressure off his lungs a little. He looked over at me sitting across the room and said "We should rent a cabin or condo for the weekend." (He believed he had 6-8 weeks left - I still believed the miracle would be years left.) I could only think, "For the love, are you trying to kill ME off!" But I just said, "Why don't we hang out and visit with your family and friends and see about doing that next week."
I was humbled and amazed by how many people we had stop by that week. I always have good intentions, but they are paving my way to Hell because I never follow through. These family and friends took the time to drive ALL the way out to the boonies where we live to visit him. I hope in the future when I have a little thought to visit a friend or make a call that I am better about doing it. What a gift for us and them! It was really fun to reminisce, and tell stories, and laugh and cry with all of them. I don't think anyone got a to leave without Jeff telling them he loved them and to get their lives in line with the priorities that really matter. Jeff has always said, for as long as I have known him, that relationships are the only thing we can take with us. He was adamant that week that everyone know that and recognize that in their own lives. He was very serious. I don't even really remember any smiles or laughing that week from him. He really wanted people to understand his message and to take it to heart.
I am finding that I don't have a lot to say about this week (shocking, I know), but part way through the week someone had a brilliant idea to start taking pictures of people as they came to visit. (I think it was Jeff's idea - I only ended up with a few, but I will leave you with some of those as compensation for not having anything to write now.)
I don't know what the flexing is all about, but I like it, and I love how everyone just pulled up chairs or a spot on the floor, just to be near him.
This is one of my favorite pictures (and I should crop it to emphasize why I love it) but when I saw Jeff and his dad holding hands, a piece of my heart melted (while another piece broke). So sweet. They have the greatest relationship!
Honestly, no makeup or hair fixing for either of us this week. (But Jeff did put a shirt on, just for pictures this night! )
It was very important for Jeff that he take individual pictures with each kid. That is something I don't have, and he felt bad about that for me. I don't know if these pictures will ever be used for anything but my blog (because they are kind of sad) but they are precious. With Courtney, such a beautiful girl, inside and out. She was such an amazing helper. She watched everything I did and worked to help with his special diet and any other needs she could help him with.
Miss Brooke, with her mischievous personality and teasing nature! (I wonder where that comes from!) Jake. He told his dad he would be "the man of the house". I'm not sure what he thought that meant, because I have always been "the boss" of the house!
Danger. (Although some of you know him as Gage.) The baby - and still treated and acts like the baby. Jeff recorded a cute video on Brooke's phone about why we call him Danger (it was completely inaccurate, but cute)
Jeff with all the kids. They really are doing great. I know a lot of you don't believe me, or think I am just saying all the things I think people want to hear, but if there is one skill that Jeff and I were good at, and taught our kids, it was coping. We are both fairly laid back and easy going (don't bring up my interactions with Comcast), and we were always real and honest with them about what was going on. This allowed them to ask questions and talk and cry with us. I see that as a gift to them. (Although, when Jake heard that I was looking at the grief counseling center for kids, his ears perked up and he asked when we could go to counseling. We are going, but I think he just likes the attention.)The whole family. We are pretty cute!
Jeff and his mama, Sally.Jeff with all his living siblings (I don't remember if I posted in an earlier post about his baby brother Stephen who passed away 36 years ago at the age of 2 months.) Sally said to me (and I hope she is okay with me sharing) "When people ask me how many kids I have, I have always said six because it is hard to explain, but now I will always say seven!" (How do you people read this stuff - I cry like a two year old just writing it!)Jeff and his brothers. James on the left, Josh (from Ohio) standing, Jeremy on the right.
The rest of these pictures are in no particular order, just the way they uploaded.
One of Jeff's best and longest standing friends Ramon, and his sister Elaina (I think I botched the spelling - sorry) And yes, Ramon always looks that puzzled!
Jeff with the scariest man I know, Mike. A business partner who becomes your brother (really, check his facebook). That was Jeff's gift, and this was/is a very special relationship.
Clay and Tyler. Again, some of Jeff's longest standing friends. These guys came by a lot, and did a ton to help out on the fundraiser, too. Thank you!
Evan - I think he is one of the Sand Dunes friends - but that could just be how I met him. I will have to ask Evan one day if that is how he met Jeff, or if there is a back story I don't know! (I told him I knew someone who could photoshop the mess in my kitchen right out of this picture!)
Jon, business associate who became a friend! We had some wonderful dinners out with he and his wife. He also was so good about stopping by and checking on Jeff during the past few months. He was on his way to Hawaii the day after this (the day Jeff passed away). I hope he had a wonderful time and made some memories of his own to cherish. That is what Jeff would have wanted.
Doug and Ben - business associates who were great friends to Jeff.
Hey, Ramon got in here twice, this is his wife Tammy. She went to high school with Jeff, too. But we have been friends with them since Jeff and I got married. In fact, we are such great friends we had our first children with a week of each other! They are also the couple we took most of our great trips to Mexico with!
Nick (and Jeremy again). Nick is such an awesome friend. And if my camera viewfinder wasn't a little off from the picture I actually end up getting, I would have shared with you the picture of Nick groping Jeff. (I probably should because Jeff is looking down in it, but it is a very good smile!)
There were so many more of you, and I am sorry I didn't get more pictures. If the group that was here visiting was more than 6-8 my brain just shut down and I didn't remember to take pictures. And I have no idea why I don't have one of Jeff and Gabe. Gabe was here at least 5 times that week. And for those of you who heard him speak at the funeral, that was an even more amazing tribute than you know. I could never have pictured him talking in front of a group that size, it just isn't the Gabe I know. But when I kidded him about it he looked me straight in the eye and said "For Jeff, I would do it!" And he did such a wonderful job! The stories are loved and cherished by everyone who heard him tell them. And he is such a great story teller. But we can lose the buffalo hunting one before my kids understand what that was about and decide they want to try it!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I shouldn't read this before work. They just make me cry. But, the first 2 pictures with all the angels in them are amazing. Especially that first one. There is a huge one right above him! That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete