Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Jake's Birthday

I can't believe I failed to blog this - such an example of the awesomeness (that's a word right!) of my motherhood!
We did a "Science Experiment Party" but I didn't get a ton of pictures because with 16 boys it was soon chaos!
We opened the party with "Build the Biggest Best Sculpture" with marshmallows and toothpicks.
Then we got ready for our "messy" experiments. I wanted to get lab coats, but I couldn't find them. When you only plan a week in advance you can't order supplies off the internet. But don't you fret, I am AWESOME and came up with an excellent plan B.
I bought rain ponchos - in two packs - at the dollar store - yes, I'm that good! Then I used cd labels and printed the radioactive symbol on them. We completed the outfit with gloves and goggles (also 2 packs at the dollar store!)
Our messy experiments were Rockets - made from alka seltzer and water a film canister. Who knew you could get alka seltzer from the dollar store?
Then we did lava lamps with oil and water in water bottles (yes - I pounded 16 bottles of water in one day - you didn't really expect me to dump out perfectly good store bought water did you?) To make it bubble, you just use a little more of that alka seltzer.
The party wouldn't have been complete without doing the Mentos and Diet Coke experiment. I did this one, and they just watched. (Okay - so not diet Coke - but you know, dollar store diet soda!)
Jake asked me to make the same Ice Cream cake I had made about a year ago for something else. So I did.
But I totally broke my spring form pan in the process. Crap!
Happy Birthday to Jake!

No comments:

Post a Comment