Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A New Pet?

So this evening Jake came running in the house saying he needed a paper cup. Then he left, and came back a few minutes later saying he needed a bowl.
He came in a few minutes later and said that he and his friends had found a lobster in the canal.
About 10 minutes after that he came back and said that they found another lobster, but it was pregnant so they left it in the canal.
By this time it seems like every kid in the neighborhood is gathered in my front yard to see the "lobster".
Then Gage came in and said he had made it a home, could he keep it? I said - probably not, but decided I better go see what he had. It was a crawdad, but a pretty big one. I tried to convince them that it would be happier back with its family.
(Just a quick side story on that - Yesterday Brooke and her friend found some baby birds. After they "rescued them" into a box - they walked about a mile back to our house to get a medicine dropper to feed them with. When I said I was too lazy to drive them back to where the birds were Jake said to Jeff and I "We are talking about four lives here, four baby birds lives!! What would you say if those were your kids?" - Have I mentioned that we live in a drama free zone - Yikes)
So I tried to convince them to put the "lobster" back. But Gage just couldn't bear to part with it, and using some sand from the new sandbox he "built it a home".
After he went to bed, I went out and got some pictures. (Not to be gruesome, but I am pretty sure these pictures are post-mortem!)
And how do you like that "house"? I have set that stupid thing out by the road about 15 times so the real owner could take it home, but it keeps finding its way back to my garage. (My youngest girl is 10!!)

2 comments:

  1. when I first opened and started reading your blog, I hadn't scrolled down yet and as I read, I kept thinking," she better have taken a picture of the "lobster" and then as I scrolled down I was sooo happy that you had taken to many photo's and then you even mentioned it... way to go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it, so funny, daniel and natilie love those crayfish things...

    ReplyDelete